Tuesday, January 26, 2010

UCT Orientation day 2

more orientation today, pretty boring. I figured out all my classes and I have to get them pre-approved tomorrow.

The way UCT does classes is from the stone age. You have to first pre-register to make sure you aren't a crazy old person. Then you have to get all your classes pre-approved by the department head. Most of the CIEE students are registered into the Faculty of Humanities, but I'm the only one in the faculty of Science. So everything the people are talking about is irrelevant to me, yet I still have to go to orientation.

Today I had to take the "academic and qualitative literacy" test because I didn't send in my high school diploma (king's doesn't even have them on file!) It's the SAT south african style. It took over 4 hours to complete and I forgot to take my adderall today! It was really brutal and the test leader was really mean.

Brownie came back today! He has been gone since Saturday. Silly puppy.

Here are pics of my campus. I have to say it's the most beautiful campus on earth. It was founded in 1829 and is the oldest university in South Africa. Cecil Rhodes played an important role in the University of Cape Town because he wanted UCT to be just like Oxford, where he went to school. When he wrote his will, he specifically said that all the buildings shall be draped in ivy. And it is. Most of the buildings are covered in ivy which is absolutely beautiful. There are 3 sections of the campus. Upper campus is where I will spend most of my time. It's where most of the buildings are. Math, physics, humanities...libraries...everything. Middle and upper campus is divided by the rugby fields. Middle campus is where the school of music and college of dance is. Lower campus is very far from upper, but it's still all connected. Lower consists of the study abroad offices and most of the res halls.
These are the "jammie" steps. Jameson hall is at the top:
The view if I turn 180. Cecil Rhodes is the statue. If you look to the far left in the distance, you'll see two tall towers. Just on the other side of those is Langa where I live. It's about a 10 minute drive to campus:

Rugby fields and upper campus:

No comments:

Post a Comment