Saturday, January 23, 2010

Langa, my new home

Today everyone moved into their houses/homes/dorms. I packed up, ate breakfast then met my home stay dad Whitey. His real name is Eric, but since he's so light, everyone calls him Whitey. He's very respected in the township and everyone knows him. He helped me with my bags and off we went! The house is on Harlem street. Everyone there jokes that they live in New York. All the houses in Langa are one story and they all share a wall. It's sort of like a ghetto San Fransisco. Please research Langa to know about where I'm staying. http://www.capetown.at/heritage/city/langa.htm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langa,_Cape_Town

The household consists of Whitey, his grandfather, his sister Daphne, and his daughter Sasando. His grandmother stayed with him up until she passed away from lung cancer last year. Daphne is currently at CPUT (cape town technical college) studying sports medicine. Sasando is also at CPUT studying finance. Whitey also has 2 sons, Luwando and Lukah from two different woman that live with their mothers just a few streets down. He's very involved in his kids lives and takes them to school every day.

When I first got there, Whitey told me that he got me a puppy he named Brownie. He's about 4 months old, but he wasn't sure. He is sooo cute, but he's a rascal. When I entered my room, I was so excited! The room is very nice, I have a queen sized bed, huge closet, lots of cabinet space and a huge TV with cable! My bathroom is connected to my room and there's a sink, toilet and shower. The tiles are beautiful. My room and the girls rooms were added to the house a few years ago.
Here is the front of the house:


Here is what you see right when you open the door. The living room is to the left, the grandfathers room is also to the left, the kitchen is straight ahead:

living room:

Grandfather/Whitey's room:

The courtyard. they dry their laundry outside. There are two rooms to the left. Mine is the one farther away, and the girls room is the closer one. Their bathroom is straight ahead:

Daphne/Sasando's room:

My puppy:

My bathroom:

My room. Complete with huge tv, full bathroom attached and cable tv. Whitey also included photos of his family to make me feel at home:

Let me just zoom in on the picture Whitey put on my bedside table. I've edited it, but you get the picture:


After I got all unpacked and moved in (everything fit surprisingly!) I was off to a soccer game at the Green Point stadium. Two cape town teams competing. This was the inaugural game for green point stadium which was built specifically for the world cup. We got great seats and they were only R50! The stadium is right next to the beach. it's gorgeous!



I just got word that Brownie got out and is missing. We looked for him and called his name but he's just a puppy. Chances are he won't come back... :(

No comments:

Post a Comment