Thursday, January 28, 2010

Registering classes like the cavemen

Like I've said before, the process of registering classes here at UCT is from the stone age. Thank god CIEE is pre-registering for us, or else we would have been on campus all day. oh wait...I was anyways! Someone needs to teach them how to get online and click. (i've been told it's not that easy)

I took the Mini-bus (basically a VW eurovan)to school. it's only R5! these minibus' are so fun to ride! the drivers are crazy, fearless actually, there are no seat belts (which I hate) and most of them play the i'm-only-certified-to-carry-16-passengers-but-theres-always-room-for-15-more game.
I got there around 9. I needed all the department heads to sign off on my courses. I first went to the archaeology department to get them to sign my roots of black identity off. That was so easy that it got my hopes up for the rest of the classes. Then I went to the math building. The professor and the department head both weren't there, and they were gone for the rest of the week. Well, that doesn't help because I am registering tomorrow! Anyways, I found someone to sign off for calc, bio and physics which was lucky. I was done by 1pm and starving. My friend Kristin and I took the minibus to Observatory where I stayed for the majority of the time in 2008. It was so weird how things changed! My fave restaurant Cafe-hot was gone, the big field across from the grocery store is now a courtyard.

We decided to eat at the Obs Cafe. It's funny how every place does funny things to the straw wrappers:

After lunch, we walked around a little and I played around on my camera.

At 5pm, we were invited to the fresher's braai, for all the international and first year students. After waiting in line to get food for an hour, we ate really fast and left because it was so cold and too windy. Here's the mass of freshman/study abroaders.

It's not a party without a bouncy house!

1 comment: