Saturday, February 6, 2010

Muizenburg

Today was the first time I surfed here in Cape Town. I have to say it was a bit disappointing. The waves were weak and I could barely stand on the board before the wave died... after 2 hours I decided to return my board that I hired and hit the dunes to sun bathe. Right as I was paddling back in, there was a really loud siren and people waving on the beach to come in. I also noticed a white flag when there was a red one before. I knew immediately that I should get out of the water! Once I got out, I realized that the shark watchers on the mountain saw a shark in the area and that's why we had to evacuate. Here's the view of the evacuated beach! A Muizenburg local explained the different flags that they put up. A green flag means there is good visibility. A red one means there was a shark spotted within the past 30 minutes right outside the "safe zone". Red and green are usually put up together. A black flag means there was a shark in the area within the past 2 hours. A white flag with a black shark means GET OUT OF THE WATER NOW!After an hour of the water being clear, the black flag is put up and people can go back in the water. I was land locked by then and there was no way I would go back in that water!
After the beach some friends and I were on the search to find good sushi. We found this Chinese restaurant that has 50% off sushi all day! We feasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment